Diabetes is more common than ever and 95% of diagnosed cases are type 2 diabetes.
Although for some people the development of diabetes is inevitable, perhaps due to heredity and other factors, for the vast majority it can be prevented by taking these 7 simple steps…
Before type 2 diabetes is fully developed, you go through a phase known as pre-diabetes. This is where you begin to show some of the symptoms which, if ignored, can lead to complete diabetes.
Make these 7 action points part of your daily routine and you could stop this disease:
1) If you are overweight, you are at risk of developing diabetes. Reduce the amount of food on your plate so that you gradually eat less and start to lose weight. Drink a glass of plain water or a sugar-free drink before meals to catch the edge of any hunger pains.
2) Reduce the amount of fat you eat; grill or fry food instead of frying; use low-fat spreads and less fatty meals.
3) Check the glycemic index of the food you eat – knowing what each food contains helps you maintain your blood sugars, which in turn can help prevent diabetes.
4) Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. If you keep a bottle of water with you and sip it regularly, you will be surprised how much you drink all day long.
5) If you are hungry, choose a healthy snack instead of a chocolate bar.
6) Use skimmed instead of whole milk in hot drinks.
7) Exercise is good for your health. But if you’re not used to exercise, start in moderation. 15 minutes of gentle walking a day will bring you into a regular exercise pattern.
All these action points are also the ones that diabetics are advised to take – if you take them now, you can prevent potentially irreparable damage to your health.